Thursday 28 February 2013

memoirs of my childhood; my wee watches

I do try to keep time but i have never been one of those watch collectors although for some reason my mother loved getting me watches.. not that i was complaining.

Anyhow, of all the wee watches she bought me, three of them are embedded in my memory.  The first being a little pink mickey mouse watch. And the reason ...the reason ... i have no idea why. I guess i just loved it.

Now the second watch was a big, fat, black and grey sports watch that i wore everywhere especially to my games. I thought it was cool and some of the boys thought that too, seeing as they would stop me to have a look at the watch.
So i used to wear it for cricket practice, netball ...athletes....n on. Hmm netball ( i used to be that local) .
Anyway, so am playing netball and this temp of a coach; some dude who used to sag his pants and bounce  ( looking back i think he was like a senior four vacist) now why he was coaching us netball i don't know!

Anyhow, so he shouts, " you dark skinny girl in purple with a big watch... catch the ball and stop showing off your watch." WHAT!
All the other girls giggled, i mean it was so funny seeing as they all thought him cool. Me not at all...
I never have a thing for teachers they are so..... teachers. So here i am minding the game and he keeps yelling at me, i mean all the yells would end up at my watch for some reason.

End of story i decided practice could do with a break from this skinny, dark girl. No biggy ... until i had glad tidings around the dorm. Our netball coach was back.

So my third watch was a really tiny black and gold watch i loved ( pretty little thing).  Now, i was seated in a taxi two days ago and this woman in front of me had it on, a similar watch i guess. Am not to vain to think my mum and i had the only two in the world.
I could not help but keep smiling because of the memories.

Don't you just love mothers? Anyhow the thing with this watch is that it taught me what loyalty means. This ka school prefect had light fingers, the babe fleeced my watch.
It mysteriously disappeared and for some reason i thought i had misplaced it. However, after V.D and at assembly i see this school prefect wearing a similar one.

so i approach her and tell her i liked her watch since i used to have a similar one ... it is sooo pretty.
Chic flips- goes all kuku on me , defending herself and raising her voice. Mistake number one!
I shouted "thief"
Hehe when your among peers your motivation is super high especially when they knew your watch, have evidence and have your back nothing beats that.

So when i looked at the watch the woman was wearing in the taxi i couldn't help smiling like a fool the whole time.
oh yah, i got my watch back but my mother wasn't happy about it... She kept asking me why i couldn't just let it be when i saw it . All i had to do was ask her for a new one.

But not me, i would do it all over again.
What's mine is mine especially if i love it and if it  has great significance to me.

XOXO
Orogot Pamela

No comments:

Post a Comment